Re: Adding MIDI APIs to Audio WG Charter (was: MIDI enumeration (was: Re: getUserMedia use cases))

From: Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 14:11:04 -0800
To: "Tom White (MMA)" <lists@midi.org>
Cc: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, Joseph Berkovitz <joe@noteflight.com>, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, public-audio@w3.org, Dom Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com
Hmm.  In a brief browse around my OSX machine, it seems it doesn't install
a GM virtual MIDI device; when I try to play a .mid, I have to download the
Quicktime 7 player.  I don't know if Windows installs a virtual device or
not?

(You make a good point - music creation programs, music scoring programs,
music training/education programs, etc. are more likely the use case for
GM, and the first two would be more likely to use the MIDI APIs than just
trying to play a .MID through an <audio>.)