Re: Call for Proposals re: #314 HTTP2 and http:// URIs on the "open" internet

From: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 19:43:23 -0800
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>[snip]
> No one has yet proposed that we mandate implementing HTTP/2.0 *without* TLS yet -- we'll cross that bridge if we come to it. Talking about "subverting the standards process" is thus WAY too premature.

Honestly, I'm close to this, but *only* over a new dedicated port. To
be clear, as an application developer building on top of HTTP/2, I
want to be able, should I so choose, to rely on the ability to use
plain text http/2 and do not want a handful of user-agent developers
to make that decision for me. That said, however, I recognize the
challenges with making plaintext HTTP/2 over port 80 a mandatory to
implement thing, therefore, mandatory to implement over a new
dedicated port would appear to be a reasonable compromise option.

- James