Re: Call for Proposals re: #314 HTTP2 and http:// URIs on the "open" internet

From: Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 08:05:15 -0500
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
James,

On Nov 19, 2013, at 10:43 PM, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com> wrote:
> to make that decision for me. That said, however, I recognize the
> challenges with making plaintext HTTP/2 over port 80 a mandatory to
> implement thing, therefore, mandatory to implement over a new
> dedicated port would appear to be a reasonable compromise option.

My concern with a new port is that how do you specify that http://example.com:8100/somefile.html should use HTTP/2.0?

Iím not convinced that HTTP/2.0 over port 80 is dead just yet - there are some upgrade paths that havenít been tested with proxies (and boy I would love to see a list of Ďbrokení proxies that I can test with) that might map a path forward.