Re: Link Header draft

There are at least two ways to read your preference;

a) the Link header should be specific to HTML, and applicable to no
other format
b) the Link header's rel registry should be HTML's, and other formats
have to follow that

I don't know that either of these is workable, given that HTML and
Atom both use link relations.

Establishing a registry isn't inventing a 3rd namespace, as long as
its initial contents are aligned with current uses.

The biggest technical concern that I currently have is that having a
combined registry leaves the door open for relations to be registered
that won't be syntactically valid in HTML4, if the Atom rules are
followed. If the HTML4 rules are followed, it would mean that the
Atom folks would have to agree to an amendment of what a registerable
link relation is -- but then again, they're going to have to agree to
pointing to the combined registry anyway, so it's not that much more
to ask, perhaps.