Re: Link Header draft

From: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:44:29 +0100
Cc: "Nottingham Mark" <mnot@mnot.net>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>

Am 12.02.2007 um 16:57 schrieb Anne van Kesteren:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:56:31 +0100, Stefan Eissing
> <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de> wrote:

>>> http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/RelExtensions
>>
>> It makes sense to keep a list at a known, stable location, which
>> then references the defining documents/standards.
>
> Isn't that exactly what the link above does? (It's not entirely
> clear to me, as you don't elaborate much on "known", "stable
> location" etc.)

I personally, would open a wikipedia article on the topic and keep
all information and references there. Nothing against whatwg, but I
think wikipedia is more stable (whatever I mean with that).

But it is not my decision. Given the choice, I would prefer a FCFS
IANA page to no register at all.

>> Making a FCFS IANA as in http://www.iana.org/assignments/http-
>> parameters would work, although it looks a bit twentycentury.
>
> One idea Ian Hickson had would be to set up a web service somewhere
> on whatwg.org which people could use to add new values, which
> validators could use to update their list, etc.

I think this is good. This could serve as a write-cache and enhanced
service/linking etc.

However I assume that the IESG would like to have a registry
somewhere after whatwg has done its excellent work and that
whatwg.org server dissolves into a pink cloud of happiness.

Cheers,

Stefan