Last Call for DAV:checked-out-vcr Proposal

From: Clemm, Geoff <gclemm@rational.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:18:12 -0400
To: "DeltaV (E-mail)" <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
The DAV:checked-out-vcr property addresses the use case where a
working resource has been created for the purpose of updating a
VCR, and then that VCR has been moved while the working resource
was checked-out.  Since the client cannot easily track the
movement of the VCR, the DAV:checked-out-vcr property provides
functionality that cannot be achieved by the current protocol
for the client-workspace package (the server-workspace package
does not have this problem, since it does not support working
resources).

Does anyone object to adding this functionality?  I am ambivalent,
in that I would prefer to not add functionality to the protocol
(it's already complex enough), but this is useful, consistent
functionality that does not present any interoperability issues.
I'd like a few more "yes, add it in" or at least "I don't mind if it
is added" comments from the working group before making this addition.

As a reminder, the proposed additions to the protocol are:

Add a protected DAV:checked-out-vcr property for a working resource.
Set this property on the working resource created when a CHECKOUT with
the DAV:apply-to-version flag is applied to a VCR.  Add a
postcondition to "CHECKIN" of a working resource that says that if
there is a DAV:checked-out-VCR on the working resource, the specified
VCR will automatically be updated to reflect the content and dead
properties of the new version.  Add a postcondition to "MOVE" of a VCR
that says that if there is a DAV:checked-out-VCR that identifies that
VCR, that property is updated to reflect the new location of the VCR.