RE: recto page with blank back

Arnd,

Thank you for your interest in XSL FO.

The XSL FO SubGroup discussed your email requesting new
functionality to allow for a solution to "page with blank
back" problem.

Several SG members think what your are suggesting is
basically equivalent to asking for the resolved value
of things like page numbers to be available to the XSL
FO expression language.  But the expression language is
expected to be evaluated before page generation, so it is
not possible to have page numbers available at expression
language evaluation time.  Certainly, even if there were
certain tricks some implementations could do to get this
information (such as a multiple pass method) we would not
want to write something that requires a certain kind of
implementation trick into the specification.

The XSL FO SG has decided not to add such an enhancement
into XSL 1.1.

Paul Grosso
for the W3C XSL FO SG