RE: 1.1 WD Comments on region-name and flow-name properties

Glenn,

Thanks as always for your comments.

We are leaving strictly editorial comments up to our editor.

Some responses on other issues embedded.

Yes, these values are only flow names, not region-names.
We will fix that.

> 2.)  (minor edit) In Section 7.25.17, "region-name" property:
>
> For the definitions of the xsl-region-xxxx values, switch
> from "...for
> use as default name..." to "...for use as the default name...".
>

> 3.)  In Section 7.25.5, "flow-name" property [2]:
>
> a) For the sentence: "If the name is empty or if a name-conflict is
> encountered, an error shall be reported."
>
> It may be good to also define here (if it hasn't been defined
> explicitly
> elsewhere--I didn't see it) what happens if no region on the
> simple page
> master has the flow-name specified.
>
> I think, in this case, that would *not* be an error, but that
> the flow's
> content would just not be generated.  I believe this is the
> case because
> the region-name definition states that we can define
> different names for
> the same region on the odd and even pages of
> fo-repeatable-page-master-alternatives (e.g., to have
> different static
> headers depending on whether we're on an odd or even page.)

You are correct that this is not an error.

The SG hesitates to make a wording change here because
we cannot list everything that is an error.  In general
in the spec, if it isn't disallowed, it's allowed.

> b) The sentence "Defines the name of the flow" seems too
> vague, perhaps
> it should be switched to something like "Designates the
> region that this
> flow's content should be assigned to."
>

> 4.)  In Section 6.4.1.4, "Flows and Flow Mapping" [3], make sure to
> update the paragraph below because we now do have an fo:flow-map
> formatting object in 1.1:
>
> "In version 1.0 of this Recommendation, the flow-map is
> implicit. [...]
> In future versions of XSL, the flow-map is expected to become an
> explicit formatting object."

Yes, we will update that.

Paul Grosso
for the W3C XSL FO SG