Re: Percentages + absolute lengths

Response to:

Comment 36 (public comment): lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/2003JanMar/0008.html

Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 02:21:32 +1000
From: "Peter B. West" <pbwest@powerup.com.au>
To: xsl-editors <xsl-editors@w3.org>
Subject: Percentages + absolute lengths

At 01:21 2003 02 07 +1000, Peter B. West wrote:

>Please clarify the editors' expectation for the resolution of
>an expression like "25% + 3pt" an FO where the relative value
>is resolved in terms of an enclosing reference area.
>
>The difficulty with respect to such expressions that I have
>experienced in implementing FO tree building is that they force
>property resolution into dependency on Area tree construction.

This is true.  Some uses of percentages do require feedback from
the result of area tree construction.

>My current implementation of FO tree building rejects
>expressions such as "25% + 3pt" on the basis that (part of)
>"...the expression value cannot be converted to the necessary
>type for the property value," (5.9.12) within the context of
>the building of the FO tree.

We may consider making a modification to XSL 1.1 that makes
the handling of percentages in places that require dependency
on composition part of extended level conformance, but leaves
the handling of those that can be computed before formatting as
part of the base conformance level.

Paul Grosso
for XSL FO Subgroup