Re: What is the mental model of XProc?

"Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org> writes:

>> I don't see a contradiction between
>>
>>    "streams of XML flowing through steps"
>> and
>>   "dividing problems into bite-sized chunks"
>
> What I meant is:
>
>     XProc is not about creating subroutines
>     that are invoked with arguments.
>
> This weekend I caught myself falling back into old programming
> habits of creating subroutines. I was trying to do FORTRAN in XProc.

I don't think there's anything wrong with writing subroutines. The trick,
I think, is to think in terms of "subroutines" that primarily operate
on XML documents.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | You cannot make a man by standing a
http://nwalsh.com/            | sheep on its hind legs. But by standing