Re: a small document about XML Schema <sequence> vs <all> constructs

Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@gmail.com> writes:

> Forgive me if this does not apply to XSD 1.1 but contrary to your write up
> sequence is not a subcase of xsd:all because xsd:all has severe cardinality
> restrictions in that it is limited to 0 or 1 occurrence which would
> prohibit it's use even where unordered semantics are explicitly desired.

I _think_ you're confusing constraints on the xsd:all element itself
with constraints on its content.  The latter are _not_ constrained wrt
cardinality, as the following example (from section 3.8.4.1.3 of the
spec [1]) makes clear:

  <xs:all>
   <xs:element name="a" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="5"/>
   <xs:element name="b" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"/>
   <xs:element name="c" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="5"/>
  </xs:all>

ht

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-1/#all-mg
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk