Re: What is this simpleType's "base" type?

On Saturday 18 of June 2011 13:35:59 Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Perhaps "parent" simpleType is the appropriate term?
>
> In my LotteryNumbers example, would it be appropriate to say that the
> OneToNintyNine simpleType is the "parent" simpleType of LotteryNumbers?
>
> /Roger

OneToNinetyNine restricts http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#positiveInteger

LotteryNumbers = List<OneToNinetyNine>

http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#double
  http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#integer
    http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#positiveInteger
      {mylottery}OneToNinetyNine

List<?>
  LotteryNumbers = List<OneToNinetyNine>
    LotteryNumbers (anonymous restriction)

LotteryNumbers is a restriction for a container, but the container itself does
not subclass its items.

To illustrate, lets define each step explicitly:

<xs:simpleType name="LotteryNumbers">
    <xs:list itemType="OneToNinetyNine"/>
</xs:simpleType>

<xs:simpleType name="LuckyLotteryNumbers">
  <xs:restriction base="LotteryNumbers">
    <xs:length value="6" />
  </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

Then you can clearly see that the inheritance chain is as follows:

List<?>
  LotteryNumbers = List<OneToNinetyNine>
    LuckyLotteryNumbers

This has also practical implications. For example in LuckyLotteryNumbers
restriction you only can restrict properties that you inherit from a ‘list’,
however you can't redefine any properties that are inherent to
OneToNinetyNine.

Hope this helps,
Denis Zawada