Re: Differences in derivation by extension of complex types between Schema 1.0 and 1.1

Hi Tobias,

You are right, it wouldn't make sense for the derived type to have empty
content.  However, I think that the result is that it makes the derived
type an invalid extension, according to 3.4.6.2, and I suspect that is
the purpose.  Interestingly, according to definitive XML Schema
(Walmsley, p305 in second printing), your extension would not be legal
under 1.0.  XSV also agrees.

 From what I can tell, the only case where Schema 1.0 would allow you to
use complexContent when extending a complex type having simpleContent is
precisely when there are no particles in the extension.  I suspect this
was not intended.  In fact, in that case, you could just as well extend
by using simpleContent..  So, it appears to me that Schema 1.1 has
recognized that Schema 1.0 had this one loophole and they are closing it.

Best,
Kevin