Re: Conditional Levels of a Schema

So, you need to decide what is more important - brevity of schema
design, or brevity of information-transfer for a purpose (hospital
use vs. calibration, etc.).  Not all business cases will have
optimal answers.

If the client application needs to see the decrypted data, then yes,
it must have access to the decryption logic and key.  All others
can exclude the logic and ignore the ciphertext (encrypted data).

Currently, browsers have limited capabilities to work with new
key-management schemes; they only understand SSL/TLS and with local
( and proprietary) cryptographic key-stores.  So, any display of
encrypted data within a browser report must be handled by the
web-server before the browser receives the data - but this can be
transparent to the browser.  (I'm assuming this is what you meant
by "encoding").

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.