Re: Implementations/Non-Implementations of xs:redefine?

Michael Kay wrote:
>> It goes without saying that I've very disappointed the
>> xs:override proposal as pushed off for 1.1--that would have
>> made things so much easier. But I certainly understand the
>> pressures that require those sorts of hard decisions to be
>> made. I, and the entire DITA community, certainly appreciate
>> the effort made in putting the proposal forward.
>
> Since the specification of xs:override is essentially to include a
> transformed schema document, isn't it something that could be implemented in
> a preprocessor?

That's a good point. Certainly the DITA community could provide an
extension specific to defining specializations and a corresponding
transform to generate working XSD documents that don't use redefine at
all. It would complicate things for specialization creators but it seems
like a reasonable solution for now.

I'll have to think about that.

Thanks,

Eliot