RE: Specifying an empty string as a simpleType restriction option

This regex is legal according to the spec. However, many implementations of
XML Schema have taken shortcuts by using a regular expression library that
implements a different regex dialect (and XMLSpy is not the top scorer in
the conformance league table). You might find that value="(abc|bcd)?" is
more widely supported.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/