Non-English languages in XSLT, XML Schema grammars

From: Ramkumar Menon <ramkumar.menon@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:17:37 -0700
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org, xmlschema-dev@w3.org, xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
Gurus,

I had a question. Why is it that languages like XML Schema, XSLT etc allow
only English in the element and attribute names ?  I am not referring to the
content, but the actual elements and attributes defined by the grammar.
i.e.  <schema>, <template>, <call-template>, <for-each>, <element>,
<attribute> etc....
Does it make any sense at all to allow these grammars itself to support
writing schemas/xslts etc in local languages.

Any designer tool can then interpret the text as per the character encoding
specified in the document declaration and render it according to the
locale/language preferences.

I know I am missing something very fundamental.

Ram

--
Shift to the left, shift to the right!
Pop up, push down, byte, byte, byte!