RE: Abstract types in substitution groups

Why would it be any more invalid than any other element being declared with
an abstract type? All it means is that the instance either has to have a
non-abstract xsi:type, or has to be an element in the substitution group of
myElement declared with a concrete subtype of abstractType.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/