  From: Shashikala Shamarao
  To: Pete Cordell ; xmlschema-dev@w3.org
  Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 12:03 PM
  Subject: Re: Image information in XML

  Hi Pete,

  Yes, I did figured out. But I still do not know how efficient it will be with regards to performance. That is for example, if we have lots of images in each document, we need to base64 encode the images and then compress it before embedding it into XML. I am currently testing this part to analyse the performance.

  Thanks again
  Shashi

  Pete Cordell <petexmldev@tech-know-ware.com> wrote:

    Hi Shashi,

    Yes. You can compress the whole of the XML message with the image data
    contained in it. Just looking at the JPEG part of a payload I did some
    quick tests and it seems that compressing would compensate for the base64
    expansion:

    JPEG file: 105,482 bytes (where , has its UK meaning)
    JPEG -> ZIP file: 105,417 bytes (implies JPEG is working well!)
    JPEG -> Base64 file: 144,346 bytes (includes some extra line feeds in
    addition to 4/3 expansion)
    JPEG -> Base64 -> ZIP file: 109, 293 bytes

    This does show that compressing can get back much of what you loose by
    Base64 encoding.

    Regards,

    Pete.
    Pete Cordell