Re: Migration from DTD to XSchema

Hi Henry,

The answer is yes and no!

There is no equivalent to general entities (&foo;), but that can be left as
part of an internal DTD in an XML instance document.  (Unless you have a
controlled environment general entities in external DTDs are best avoided in
case your instance ends up at a non-validating parser.)  So this use of
entities is not really in scope for schema.

One use for parameter entities (%foo;) is the defininition of common groups
of element references, e.g.:

<!ENTITY foo % "(bar | la | tee)">

then

<!ELEMENT MyElement ( a | b | %foo; )>

Schema supports this use with the xs:group construct.

I can't think of other uses of parameter entities are supported.

Conditional inclusion of DTD sections is not supported either.

HTH,

Pete.
Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware Ltd