Re: Multiple and circular import/include

FWIW, Schema 1.1 will attempt to clarify details of inclusion, import,
etc.    Though the Workgroup has not yet agreed on specific language, my
expectation is that it will be made very clear that cycles in the graph of
inclusion, import, xsi:schemaLocation, etc.  are definitely allowed.  As
someone has noted they are useful.  Circular redefines typically make no
sense, and I expect that they will be disallowed.

While implementations are free to get the right answer anyway they can, I
expect that the design will be compatible with an algorithm along the
following lines:

1. Compute the set of files resulting from the transitive closure of a)
all the schema docs explicitly named on a command line, API, or similar
processor-dependent mechanism b) files included by them c) imports for
which schemaLocation is honored d) xsi:schemaLocations that are honored d)
redefines.   Note that transitive closures don't look infinitely on
cycles.   We just collect a set of filenames.

2.  Check for cycles in the redefine graph.

3.  Compute the schema resulting from this collection of schema docuemnts

The above oversimplifies many details, including among others "chamelon
include"  (include of a document with no targetNamespace by a doc that has
one), but the spirit is right.

If you're wondering about incremental processing of xsi:schemaLocations as
the validation proceeds, that's allowed, but it's only an optimization.
The results must be the same as if you had prescanned the instance to find
the schemaLocations you intended to honor, included the files for them in
advance in step 1, and computed the schema in bulk.  It turns out that
certain rules in the schema language make it practical to do such
incremental construction, but they are not fundamental to the language any
more than JIT'ing, for example is part of the Java language definition.
It's a cool incremental optimiation, but the burden is on you to get the
same result as if you had run the same program without incremental
compilation.

Again, these are all just my intuitions as to how the clarifications will
come out.  At least some of us in the WG believe that this is how schema
1.0 works, but all agree that the recommendation is at best vague and most
likely contradictory in these areas.

--------------------------------------
Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation