RE: support for substitution groups, support for redefines?

Several organizations that develop schemas are looking at the need to
allow for customization of the "standard" schemas. ACORD is one of those
organizations, ebXML is another. We have different ways of getting there,
even within ACORD I have different ways. One standard makes use of the
xsd:any and another is using xsd:redefine.

It turns out that we cannot get every one's requirements in the standard
and some folks see a need to have their data in XML stream but feel that
even knowledge of these fields is their IP and as such do not want to put
the information in a standard.

As an SGML publsihing guy I found this to be a horrifying situation but
over the years working with the Insurance industry, I've come to accept
the need for this. Now the question is how do you support it and with
which features? The one group that uses xsd:any is not interested in
validatiing the extensions, the other group is. We are not happy that
redefine modifies the primary namespace, but we have to live with that
outcome to get the functionality we are looking for "out of te box" with
standard XML schema tools.

..dan

Danny Vint

Specializing in Panoramic Images of California and the West
http://www.dvint.com

Voice:510:522-4703
FAX: 801-749-3229