RE: Use of key/keyref - any best practices? warnings?

I think key/keyref is quite widely implemented and you can certainly use it.

I would personally steer clear of defining keys and keyrefs that have
different scope. It's just mindblowingly complicated to work out what's
going on. I think I understood it for a couple of weeks last year when I was
implementing it, but I don't now.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/