RE: rules for handling document elements not in the target namesp ace?

It is valid if the schema processor is performing lax validation, or if it
can locate (by some magic) a definition of the <doc> element.

Whether the processor is performing lax validation, and the mechanisms it
uses to locate schema components, are properties of your processor/API, not
something that's defined by the schema spec itself.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/