Re: canonical lexical rep

From: Xan Gregg <xan.gregg@jmp.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:54:34 -0400
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

> Can somebody here explain why exactly we need a canonical lexical rep
> for the various literals of datatypes? What purpose does it solve?

Canonical representation is mainly for non-schema users of the
datatypes.  There is one place where XML Schema relies on canonical
representation, though there is a XML Schema 1.1 requirement for that
dependency to be removed.

The dependency relates to default values, which are stored in the
component property as values (not lexical representations).  When a
schema inserts the value into an instance document, it used the
canonical representation of the value.

Not all datatypes have canonical representations.  xs:QName, at least,
doesn't.

xan