RE: type and xsd:string confusion

That would be because the asserted type should be validly derived from
the original type which, in this case, is not true.

-----Original Message-----
From: xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org [mailto:xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Fraser Goffin
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 10:58 AM
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: xsi:type and xsd:string confusion

If I define a simple type thus (a string constrained only in that it
must
have at least 1 character) :-

	<s:element name="CRN">
		<s:simpleType>
			<s:restriction base="s:string">
				<s:minLength value="1"/>
			</s:restriction>
		</s:simpleType>
	</s:element>

why is it that my validating parser reports that the following fragment
which asserts the string type is invalid :-

<CRN xsi:type='xsd:string'>10165451</CRN>

the message output is :-

Use of type '{http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema}string' is blocked on
element
'{http://www.xxx}CRN'

Is there a way of maintaining the minLength facet and allowing run-time
type
assertion like this ?

Fraser.