From: xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org [mailto:xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Jack Lindsey
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 7:05 AM
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: RE: Fwd: Re: RESEND: Extending xhtml? How?

Brad:
I think people were slow to respond because they were confused about
what
you are trying to achieve.

If you want your students to access this material through standard
browsers,
there is no point in extending XHTML, unless you want to build a custom
browser to handle the extensions.

If you want to present your custom data structure vocabulary to a
browser,
you should be able to use XML files, validated against an XSD schema,
and
directly styled for the Web by CSS (Cascading Style Sheets).
Unfortunately,
unlike Mozilla and Opera, the browser with 90% market share can't handle

this.  Therefore, the industrial-strength, cross-browser solution is to
include a reference to an XSLT stylesheet in your XML file, which
transforms
the XML into XHTML, and includes a reference to a CSS stylesheet,
allowing
you to keep cosmetic tweaks to presentation separate from content
structure.

You mention an interactive question-and-answer feature.  XHTML has basic

form/input features which can be managed by client-side JavaScript or
server-side CGI/Perl scripts, and Curt mentioned Xforms.

You also mentioned an affinity for Java.  You could put <object> tags in

your XHTML which would invoke and pass parameters to Java applets.

So many options, so many technologies, so little time!

HTH  Jack

>From: Brad Cox <bcox@virtualschool.edu>
>To: Curt Arnold <carnold@houston.rr.com>
>CC: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
>Subject: Fwd: Re: RESEND: Extending xhtml? How?
>Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:46:04 -0500

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin
.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca