RE: b*c*b*c* vs. (b*c*)^2,2

I think the confusion is due to the technical use of the term
"ambiguity".

In popular language, it's completely clear which set of strings the
expression b*c*b*c* matches. The "ambiguity" is because the system
(unlike the user) doesn't just want to know whether a string matches the
sequence, it wants to know which particle each of the input elements
matches, and there are two (or three?) possible different ways of
matching the input bc.

When you write it as (b*c*) there are only two particles and so the
system knows which particle matches each input element.

An interesting example, though!