RE: Derivation by restriction

Thanks Xan.

I am in this case very pleased to be proven wrong, and I have just
demonstrated it to myself in Spy (guess I should have done that first ;-)

I misinterpreted an example in a book I was just reading which said that the
original model had to be replicated and then any relevant constraints
tightened.  The example focussed on adding maxOccurs="0" to an element that
already had minOccurs="0" to effectively eliminate it from the subtype.  I
interpreted that to mean that original constraints also had to be replicated
and just further qualified by additional constraints.

It did then point out that simply omitting the element from the restriction
achieved the same result.

It also pointed out that omitting an attribute from the restriction has a
different effect.  It means the attribute is required unchanged.  I think
this is when I got really confused.  Perhaps I should just read the
spec....then again!

Cheers Jack

>From: "Xan Gregg" <Xan.Gregg@jmp.com>
>To: "Jack Lindsey" <tuquenukem@hotmail.com>,<xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
>Subject: RE: Derivation by restriction
>Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:30:08 -0400
>
>Your premise is incorrect.  You can have a restriction that makes an
>optional element mandatory.  Or is there some other constraint involved
>that is not apparent in your message?
>
>xan

Tax headache? MSN Money provides relief with tax tips, tools, IRS forms and
more! http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/workshop/welcome.asp