Re: Question on Importing external namespaces without schemaLocati on Attribute

Re: Question on Importing external namespaces without schemaLocati on Attribute... but it can be unpredictable if the schemaLocation's each point to schema documents describing different subsets of the complete schema which you are trying to import.  What you need is for the document which represents the maximal set of components from the imported namespace to be the *one* that the processor takes notice of. That probably requires some experimenetation in sequencing the includes.

Simon Cox
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk
  To: Subramanian Peruvemba (PV)
  Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
  Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 5:46 PM
  Subject: Re: Question on Importing external namespaces without schemaLocati on Attribute

  "Subramanian Peruvemba (PV)" <subramanian.peruvemba@oracle.com> writes:

  >     Have a schema that uses attributes from an external namespace. The
  > schema itself is implemented as collection of includes. These included
  > schemas use (imports) attributes from the external namespace (like
  > xml.xsd). Should all the individual schemas provide schemaLocation
  > attribute for the imports? Or is it enough for the main schema file to
  > provide the schemaLocation.

  As you describe them, your schema documents are fine -- each one that
  references a foreign namespace must <import> that namespace.  The
  processors I'm aware of only need one location hint for the right
  thing to happen at validation time, so you should be OK on that front
  as well.

                        Half-time member of W3C Team