	From: Bob Schloss [mailto:rschloss@us.ibm.com]
	Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 8:50 AM
	To: Dare Obasanjo
	Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
	Subject: RE: Preliminary Version of Schema Components Infoset
Model in Java by IBMis available on Partnerworld for Developers

	Hi Dare,

	Reasonable question....

	This is a technical sharing, letting readers of a few mailing
lists know what we're doing.

	IBM thinks many Java programs need a Schema Components Infoset
API that also makes visible components from the XML representation.
	IBM knows of customers that would like to have an API which is
implemented by software from more than one vendor, or from an open
source effort.

	There were 3 particular reasons why I posted this notice to 2
W3C schema-related mailing lists.
	First, I've been told that various participants in W3C XML
Schema-related activities have expressed interest in having such an API,
whether produced by W3C or produced elsewhere.
	The second reason was to share our extensive experience in this
area.
	The third reason was to discover whether other people think it
makes sense for an open source effort to revise or complete this work.

	I am personally not familiar with Microsoft's Schema Components
Infoset API, or those of other vendors.

	Bob

	On May 24 2002 at 01:53PM, Dare Obasanjo wrote:

	> I'd like to ask exactly what the purpose was for sharing this
with
	> W3C working groups.
	> Does IBM intend to push an XML Schema Infoset API
	> for endorsement by the W3C
	>even though certain vendors like Microsoft have already shipped
such
	> an API in multiple products?

	Bob Schloss
	IBM T. J. Watson Research Center