RE: block="substitution" in local element definitions

Yep - that clarifies the current spec.
All participants in a substitution group must be global.

But I'd like to pursue this a little further.
w3c-xml-schema-ig might be a better forum:

For readers from there, my original mail to
xmlschema-dev was a request for clarification
regarding whether it was necessary for substitution
group members to be global.
The Primer seems to imply no (which led to my initial
confusion), while Structures clearly says yes.

David Fallside - I suggest that the prose in the
primer be adjusted to make it clear that substitution
group /members/ must also be top-level elements.

Now my issue:
I can certainly understand why the SG head must be top-level.
But it is not clear to me why this constraint should be applied to SG
members.
It would seem quite reasonable and quite useful in derivation-by-restriction
to declare membership in a SG locally.
The SG mechanism is a very nice tool for building choice-groups
progressively.
It is not completely open, since to be a member of a SG it is still
necessary to satisfy type-derivation rules.
So as long as this is satisfied, why not declare a new element (and even its
anonymous type) locally to be the member of an SG that is valid in this
context?
Why is it necessary for the SG members to be global elements?

_____
Simon.Cox@csiro.au  CSIRO Exploration & Mining
26 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington WA 6151
PO Box 1130, Bentley WA 6102  AUSTRALIA
T: +61 (8) 6436 8639  F: +61 (8) 6436 8555  C: +61 (4) 0330 2672
http://www.csiro.au/page.asp?type=resume&id=CoxSimon