RE: block="substitution" in local element definitions

Did I miss the answer to this?

In the primer it says [1]

"... elements can be assigned to a special group of elements that are said
to be substitutable for a particular named element called the head element.
(Note that the *head element* must be declared as a global element.) "

I had drawn the concusion that an element must be global to be the /head/ of
a substitutionGroup, but there is no such restriction on local elements, so
they can be /members/ of substitutionGroups.

But in Structures it says at [2]

"[Definition:]  Through the new mechanism of element substitution groups,
XML Schemas provides a more powerful model supporting substitution of one
named element for another. Any top-level element declaration can serve as
the defining element, or head, for an element substitution group. Other
*top-level* element declarations, regardless of target namespace, can be
designated as members of the substitution group headed by this element. "

Is this the normative restriction in the spec?
I cannot find any other reference requiring substitutionGroup members or
heads to be global/top-level ...

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/#ref25
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-1-20010502/#key-equivalenceClass
_____
Simon.Cox@csiro.au  CSIRO Exploration & Mining
26 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington WA 6151
PO Box 1130, Bentley WA 6102  AUSTRALIA
T: +61 (8) 6436 8639  F: +61 (8) 6436 8555  C: +61 (4) 0330 2672
http://www.csiro.au/page.asp?type=resume&id=CoxSimon