Re: Namespaces

"Ignacio Vera" <nano@informatics.bangor.ac.uk> writes:

>     Sorry for sending a question straigth away to you but i hope you could
> solve one question.
>
>     When you build an XML schema you declare a target namespace, which is
> the namespace of the schema, although the schema can use elements belonging
> to different namespaces. Make any sense? One question is that using
> elements belonging to different namespaces can only be done by importing
> schemas???
> That means creating namespaces is done by declaring a new XML schema, I
> think it makes lot of sense.

All roughly correct.

>     In a instance document for declaring the namespace Location you use the
> attribute belonging to the XML schema instance schemaLocation that expect
> as content 1 or more structures like: 'string string'

Yes

>     The first string can be whatever although theoretically is a namespace
> declaring that this XML document uses elements from that namespace, the
> second one is the location of the schema document where the namespace is
> declared. What the first string exactly means?? in the instance document
> you have to declare already the namespace of the document, hope the
> question make sense.

Call each pair, rather than 'string string', 'NamespaceName SchemaDocURI'

In principle the processor could use the target namespace of the
schema document retrieved from the SchemaDocURI, yes, but in practice
we wanted
 a) to have a consistency check;
 b) to allow processors to ignore the hint because they already _have_
    a schema for the given NamespaceName
so we required a specification of the NamespaceName as well.