Re: Can instance document schema location hints aid or override those defined in a top-level schema with import declarations?

Jeff Lowery <jlowery@scenicsoft.com> writes:

> If validating an instance document against an XML Schema which imports other
> schemas, and the top-level schema location hints are invalid, will document
> processors use any newer hints that the instance document might provide as
> to the location of the imported schemas?

1) Hints are hints.  A processor is in principle free to use or ignore
hints on any basis or none.

2) In practice useful processors will
   a) document their hint-uptake strategy;
   b) allow at least some user-control over hint uptake and ordering.

My sense is that at the moment the major implementations are just
coming up the compliance curve as fast as they can, and such details
are not yet of concern.  With one small exception wrt XSV, I know of
no processor that gives you _any_ hint control yet.