From: Saul Farber [mailto:saul@syncline.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 5:51 PM
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: <xsd:any> misunderstandings?

Hello again!

I think I have a misunderstanding of what <xsd:any> does, perhaps
someone could set me straight?

When defining WSDL types, one uses a bit of XML like the following:

<types>
	<xsd:schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
	</xsd:schema>
</types>

The definition of the "types" element in the WSDL-schema (version 1.1)
is as follows (from http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/):

<element name="types" type="wsdl:typesType"/>
<complexType name="typesType">
  <complexContent>
    <extension base="wsdl:documented">
      <sequence>
        <any namespace="##other" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
      </sequence>
    </extension>
  </complexContent>
</complexType>

So I wrote the following xml (to conform to this schema), thinking that
the <any> element would let me write xml like the above...with the
correct namespace, etc.

However, when validating, I get the following error
>> Error on line 20 of document /home.../document.xml: Element type
"xsd:schema" must be declared.

I thought the whole point of having an <xsd:any> tag was to ELIMINATE
the need to pre-declare exactly was is to go into the xml!  My
<xsd:schema> structure is both well-formed and valid, I just can't seem
to get the <xsd:any> element to "accept" an un-declared child.

I can always fix this by setting the "processContents" attribute of the
<any> element to "skip", but this defeats what I want to do...which is
have valid xml-schema in the <types> section of the WSDL.

What am I missing here...is my understanding of exactly what <xsd:any>
does wrong?>

thanks in advance!
saul

--