Re: Would you like XSV to have an offline mode?

"Henry S. Thompson" wrote:

> MarkH@i2.co.uk writes:
>
> > I work from home (56k modem connection) and office (big fat connection) and
> > the need to be online when validating makes working from home very tedious.
> > In the past I have saved local copies of the various specs and DTDs and
> > mangled my files to use them, but this is painful (tracking them all down)
> > and error prone (having to keep files with hacked URLs).
> >
> > It would be lovely if XSV could have an offline mode where it would save
> > copies of resources locally and use them when not online.
> >
> > Is this something that others would benefit from?
> >
> > Henry - what do you think about this?
>
> I'm all in favour of the functionality described.  I wish someone
> would implement a simple universal caching proxy for offline use:

To my satisfaction, someone has:

[[[
The WWWOFFLE Homepage

World Wide Web Offline Explorer

The wwwoffled program is a simple proxy server with special features for
use with
dial-up internet links. This means that it is possible to browse web
pages and read
them without having to remain connected.
]]]

--        The WWWOFFLE Homepage
http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/wwwoffle/
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 20:08:11 GMT

I've been using it... specifically, the debian package:
wwwoffle 2.5c-10   (502.1k)
http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/wwwoffle.html
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/web/wwwoffle_2.5c-10.deb

for several days now, and I'm quite satisfied.

>  XSV
> uses standard http libraries

I think the python urlopener libraries include caching support, Henry.

Any volunteers to look into the details there?

> and is therefore sensitive to the value
> of the http_proxy environment variable.  Were such a proxy available,
> all that would be required would be to first while online launch the
> proxy, set http_proxy to point to it, run XSV on the relevant
> documents, then be free to run offline with the same proxy.  Perhaps
> such a proxy already exists?

Yup.