Re: XML transformation

On Tuesday 04 December 2001 10:06 am, Gary Robertson wrote:

> Does anybody know of any tools that ease or partly automate
> the process of producing transformation stylesheets; I've heard
> that XSLT is pretty hard to get started with.

Python[1] is an easy to learn alternative. The markup porcessing modules
included in the stock Python library may be all you need.  If that isn't
enough then try installing the PyXML package from sourceforge[2]. The 2.2
release, which is in a second beta, includes many of the PyXML components.
You can get some idea of the code required to use the Python modules from the
markup section[3] of the 2.2 release documentation. The 4suite extensions add
additional support to the PyXML package.  This extension includes "4XSLT ...
an XSLT processor".  The trend seems to be for the 4Suite[4] extensions to
eventually migrate to PyXML and then finally to the stable Python release.

[1] http://www.python.org/
[2] http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/
[3] http://python.sourceforge.net/devel-docs/lib/markup.html
[4] http://4suite.org/