Re: Moving on (was Re: URIs quack like a duck)

From: Eve L. Maler <Eve.Maler@east.sun.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 13:33:55 -0400
To: xml-uri@w3.org
At 10:02 PM 5/29/00 -0400, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
>Almost.  The problem I see is that if we follow (1), which at this point I
>more
>or less agree with, then there's a nasty inconsistency between the namespace
>spec and the definition of expanded names in the XPath spec.  The working
>group
>you speak of would have to look at, and propose revisions to, all specs that
>are impacted by the string-literal interpretation of namespace names, not just
>the namespace spec itself.  XPath is an instance but  not the only
>one.   XBase
>is another.

I don't believe that XML Base (http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase) is impacted by
this at all.  It merely defines a new way to set bases (in addition to
existing ways); it can't definitively say who or what will use a base,
other than talking generically about "relative URIs."

In any case, XML Base isn't a REC, and there's still an opportunity to
change things.  I know of specs-in-progress that may need updating on this
issue, but don't know of any other RECs besides XPath that are inconsistent
with the Namespaces REC as it stands.

         Eve
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    elm @ east.sun.com