Re: A new proposal (was: Re: which layer for URI processing?)

From: Paul W. Abrahams <abrahams@valinet.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 21:42:04 -0400
To: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
CC: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>, xml-uri@w3.org
Jonathan Borden wrote:

> But RFC 2396 does state: "1.4 Hierarchical URI and Relative Forms
> An absolute identifier refers to a resource independent of the context in
> which the identifier is used. " so the implication is that "absolutizing" a
> URI is more than merely prepending the base.

Hey, thanks for pointing that out.  I had missed it entirely.  It looks as though the
definition I proposed earlier:

``A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is a compact string of characters that
identifies an abstract or physical resource.  A URI is absolute, i.e., its meaning
does not depend on the context in which it appears.''

is all right after all.

Paul Abrahams