Re: URI versus URI Reference

From: Paul W. Abrahams <abrahams@valinet.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 14:39:59 -0400
To: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
CC: abrahams@acm.org, "xml-uri@w3.org" <xml-uri@w3.org>
John Cowan wrote:

> "Paul W. Abrahams" wrote:
>
> > It would be better to define ``absolute'' in semantic terms, i.e., not merely in terms of
> > its syntactic form.
>
> I don't think that any such definition can exist that is both correct and
> complete.

If that's really the case, then perhaps we should drop any mention of `absolute' from the
definition I proposed and just stick with the first sentence (which comes from the Abstract,
of course).   Absoluteness, you're saying, is best thought of as a syntactic property.  My
revised grammar, including the production

     absoluteURI = URI

makes the point quite clear.

Paul Abrahams