Re: are many URIs ultimately relative? was RE: are 'cid' URLs relative?

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 13:44:18 -0500
To: xml-uri@w3.org
At 11:34 AM 2000-05-26 -0400, Michael Mealling wrote:

>In other words: I think the correct solution here is that the XML
>Namespace document must say that Namespaces must be identified by
>what the ABNF calls "absoluteURI" and that the URIs used by XML
>Namespaces must be globally unique. But then again, I'm of the camp
>that thinks you eventually want to resolve these things into some
>sort of document that describes the namespace.

[where "some sort of document" may be defined as a query and not a static
bucket of bits...]

But then it shouldn't now say that the URIs used by XML Namespaces _must_
be unique.

It should say "Think twice before using one that is not reliably unique."

The following compromise reflects a reasonable balance of backward and
forward compatibility:

a) perform syntactic processing based on literal comparison of ns-attr

b) save for post-syntactic processing any context information implicated in
the evaluation of xml:base; if this varies across namespaces in the
document, save the relation.

c) Warn on non-globally-unique ns-attr

Al