Re: URI versus URI Reference

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 19:19:41 -0400
To: <abrahams@acm.org>, "John Cowan" <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Cc: <abrahams@acm.org>, <xml-uri@w3.org>

>> >  One would expect a URI reference to be
>> > a pointer to a URI, i.e., a doubly indirect specification of a
>> > resource, and not some generalization or specialization of a URI.

One would, but one would be wrong. I think the term came around from
some thought such as "a reference using a URI" or something...
I was not very involved in the haggles about terms. It is difficult to
be close to English usage at the end of a lot of specification
discussions.

Doesn't the BNF define these terms? too late..going to bed...