Re: which layer for URI processing?

Tim,

Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> XSLT uses XPath which is included, I understand in the "lower layer" in your
> scenario.

I am not sure I fully understand your example :(

The problem I see with transformations, is that you can define 3
different XBases :

1) the base for the nodes of the document tree.
2) the base for the nodes of the XSLT sheet as a document.
3) the base for the nodes of the output tree.

Imagine a use case where you are using relative URIs with the following
bases :

    ./xml/  for the document
    ./xsl/  for the stylesheet
    ./doc/out/  for the output tree

If we allow relative URIs references and for absolutization, to map a
namespace defined as xmlns:ns="foo" in the input document, you would
have to declare it as xmlns:ns="../xml/foo" in the stylesheet (if I
understand correctly the debate about "absolutization") and the
transformation would have to generate xmlns:ns="../../xml/foo" in the
output tree to keep a relative reference to the same namespace.

It can probably be done properly and this kind of core XBase mechanism
may even be useful to implement XBase extensions for XSLT to be used
with XLink, XPointer and possibly XInclude.

It requires, though, a modification of XSLT.

Eric