Re: which layer for URI processing?

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:12:08 -0400
To: <xml-uri@w3.org>
At 02:02 PM 5/24/00 -0400, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>XSLT uses XPath which is included, I understand in the "lower layer" in your
>scenario.
>[If not, then what is?]

XML 1.0 + Namespaces - basically parser output, no more.

>Supose I use XSLT to filter a document to ensure it doesn't have
>any of an http://example.com/detonator namespace in it, because processing
>this
>would allow the document to destroy the chemical plant.
>The XSLT sees "/detonator" in an incoming document
>http://example.com/doc.xml
>but it does not notice it as it does not absolutize it. The checked result
>is
>passed to the main control system. However, when
>this "upper layer" runs it absolutizes it to find out what in upper layer
>terms it really means, and
>instantiates a chemical plant handler to handle the http://example.com/foo.
>Bang.
>
>Is this or is this not a problem?

I'd say it was incredibly poor design on the part of the chemical plant
handler, not on the part of the XML parser.  (It sounds like XPath/XSLT
absolutizes anyway, so I don't think it would get that far anyway.)

So no, it's not a problem.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth