RE: peace and quiet

At 10:33 PM 5/23/00 -0400, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>Thanks for the nice summary. After careful consideration, and my initial
>inkling that absolutization was the way to go, I now conclude that the
>current namespace spec is correct and that namespace URIs ***including
>relative URIs*** ought be compared literally (char-by-char).
>
>This is most consistent with other URI usage where 'path' normalization is
>done at the server's discression though the URIs themselves are not
>'identical' e.g.
>http://www.x.com/a/./b/c and http://www.x.com/a/b/c are not identical URIs
>though resolve to the same content/document on most servers.
>
>Usage of relative URIs will have the well identified pitfalls. So be it. You
>makes your choices you gets your consequences.

I started out thinking that relative URI references were evil creatures
that should be disallowed entirely in namespaces, but wind up at a similar
position: compare namespace URI references (including relative ones)
literally, char-by-char, and let higher levels handle absolutization when
needed.

Relative URI references need warning labels, but I think that can be
handled as best practices rather than specs.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com