RE: A little courtesy, please

From: Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 12:59:48 +0100
To: xml-uri@w3.org
David Carlisle wrote,
> Dan Connolly wrote,
> > Either namespaces are web resources in every sense of the
> > word, and hence any sort of URI reference the author
> > chooses may be used to point to them, or not.
>
> Is a URI reference a web resource (the URI refererence
> itself, not the resource it points at) ?

I must admit that this (that a URI reference is a resource in
it's own right) is just about the only way I can make sense
of some of Dan's statements. If we accepted that, then we could
guarantee that a URL would identify a resource in one sense:
it'd name a resource-location (some kind of abstract entity, I
suppose).

But that's not the sense of 'identify' that we're used to ...
it's certainly quite different from the sense in which a URL
identifies an independent resource which (might, transiently)
be _at_ a resource-location.

I don't think that reifying locations in this way would
necessarily be a bad thing, it's just that I'm struggling to
see its utility ... it certainly doesn't help us when it comes
to schema retrieval.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews