Re: Irony heaped on irony

From: Ken Irving <jkirving@mosquitonet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:00:10 -0800
To: xml-dev@xml.org, xml-uri@w3.org
On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 12:54:03PM +0200, Stefan Haustein wrote:

> In my opinion, the best solution would be to remove the confusing
> http:// from the namespace name. However, at least you should
> append /xml-schema when translating a namespace name into an
> XML Schema URL. Otherwise, an XML Schema can collide with e.g.
> an RDF schema describing the same language.

From one struggling to understand XML, this sounds like a very sensible
approach (dropping the http://, or at least http:).  The http:
effectively, or at least seemingly, says that what follows can be
accessed using the http protocol, when in fact that is not the intent.
Regardless of how the well-informed view the issue, casual users will
assume that there is something behind the name.

--
Ken Irving
Trident Software