Re: Remember: namespaces break DTD's

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 10:04:31 -0400
To: xml-uri@w3.org
>To me, there is a compelling argument for  associating descriptions of
some
>flavor, be it DTDs or schemata, with namespaces: namespaces as they stand
>break DTD's.

Completely separate issue.

The fact that namespaces and DTD validation are (at best) imperfectly
compatable is certainly an annoyance. But to perform namespace-aware
validation you need a namespace-aware validation language, and DTDs just
ain't it.

Schemas will handle namespace-aware validation. But that can be done
without the namespace name being the binding between namespace and schema;
the schema spec mentions a number of such techniques.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research