Re: Terminology: `absolutization' is vile

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 12:13:48 -0400
To: abrahams@acm.org, "xml-uri@w3.org" <xml-uri@w3.org>
"Paul W. Abrahams" wrote:

> The term `absolutization' seems to have crept into these discussions.   It's
> not used in RFC2396, which speaks of ``Resolving Relative References to
> Absolute Form''.   Am I the only one whose sense of literate English is
> offended?

Every time I say "resolution", someone else thinks I am talking about
actually accessing the resource, so I have abandoned the term in favor
of the barbarous, but intelligible, "absolutizing".

As W.v.O.Quine said about the use of FLAMMABLE instead of INFLAMMABLE
on trucks containing inflammable (= combustible) materials: "Semi-literacy
is not a capital crime."

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>